Gail Weidner (Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices)

Spam prevention
Nina Hollander, Broker
Coldwell Banker Realty - Charlotte, NC
Your Greater Charlotte Realtor

Why don't you look up Illinois ReaL Estate Commission on-line and find out how to get licensed there. What you do with your PA license depends on what you want to do with it if you think you'll need it in the future.

Apr 22, 2019 06:35 AM
Candice A. Donofrio
Next Wave RE Investments LLC Bullhead City AZ Commercial RE Broker - Fort Mohave, AZ
928-201-4BHC (4242) call/text

Go to The Association of Realtors in the town that you are moving to. They should have all the resources that you need.

Whether or not you keep your PA license, what's the chance that you'll move back? As long as you're licensed in IL, you can still receive referral fees so I'm not sure the PA license will matter if you're not going to be working in PA anymore. But things change, so consider carefully.

Apr 22, 2019 07:23 AM
Thomas J. Nelson, REALTOR ® e-Pro CRS RCS-D Vets
Big Block Realty 858.232.8722 - La Jolla, CA
& Host of Postcards From Success Podcast

The DRE should be able to help you in Ill or your local board. Keep your Penn license until it expires...what else would you do with it anyhow?

Apr 22, 2019 07:00 AM
Alan May
Jameson Sotheby's International Realty - Evanston, IL
A moving experience!

It's been an age, and a day, since I was licensed... so I'm not sure what the process is, these days.  (I don't think they use stone tablets, anymore).

You can check on (Illinois Department of Federal Professional Regulation)... which is our licensing body.... or (Illinois Association of Realtors).

Apr 22, 2019 07:45 AM
Debe Maxwell, CRS | The Maxwell House Group | RE/MAX Executive | (704) 491-3310 - Charlotte, NC
The right Charlotte REALTOR!

Calling Lyn SimsAlan May and Corinne Guest.... 

Apr 22, 2019 07:42 AM
Kathleen Daniels, Probate & Trust Specialist
KD Realty - 408.972.1822 - San Jose, CA
Probate Real Estate

The State licensing board will provide information on licensing in Illinois.

Unless you plan to remain licensed in PA, then keep it. If not, check the PA website and follow the steps to make the license inactive. 

Apr 22, 2019 07:16 AM
Bob "RealMan" Timm
Ward County Notary Services - Minot, ND
Owner of Ward Co Notary Services retired RE Broker

Nina Hollander gave you the best advice Gail Weidner HOWEVER I'm a phone call guy. I'd rather pick up the phone and call the Illinois Real Estate Commission and ask them to explain the process to me as well as email me the information and links that could help me achieve that goal.

Apr 22, 2019 07:00 AM
Barbara Todaro
RE/MAX Executive Realty - Retired - Franklin, MA
Previously Affiliated with The Todaro Team

Nina's right.... everything will be online.... make sure you look into keeping your license in PA.... they may require that you are a resident there...

Apr 22, 2019 06:41 AM
Doug Dawes
KW Evolution - Topsfield, MA - Georgetown, MA
Your Personal Realtor®

Go on the Illinois Real Estate Board website or call them to find your answer

Apr 22, 2019 09:40 AM
Ron and Alexandra Seigel
Napa Consultants - Carpinteria, CA
Luxury Real Estate Branding, Marketing & Strategy


You have wonderful advice here, Nina Hollander advice is what I would do also.  Wishing you all the best in your move to Illinois.  A

Apr 22, 2019 08:43 AM
Dan Pittsenbarger
Keller Williams Western Realty - Bellingham, WA
Improving Conditions

I'd google Illinois Department of Licensing and go from there.

Here you go - here's the Illinois Deparment of Licensing Real Estate Division.

I didn't spend too much time on it but I did see a link for Transfering a Lic on the website as well.

Apr 22, 2019 08:40 AM
Ryan Huggins - Thousand Oaks, CA - Thousand Oaks, CA
Residential Real Estate and Investment Properties

I know nothing about Illinois.  For PA I'd suggest considering keeping the license active (just not be a member of any association there) so you can refer any past clients and get a regular commission.

Apr 22, 2019 09:51 AM
Peter Testa
Nationwide Homes - Danbury, CT

If Illinois is a reciprocating state they'll allow you to transfer your PA license there. I would contact the Board where you are going & see if it's possible & if so get the paperwork going, 

Apr 22, 2019 09:35 AM
Olga Simoncelli
Veritas Prime, LLC dba Veritas Prime Real Estate - New Fairfield, CT
CONSULTANT, Real Estate Services & Risk Management

Check to see if you have reciprocity with that state, but even if so, it may not work if you become a resident there (might allow you to keep your PA license).  Check with their state agency that regulates real estate licencing. You may have to start from scratch, classes, tests, etc.

Apr 22, 2019 09:44 AM
Wayne Martin
Wayne M Martin - Chicago, IL
Real Estate Broker - Retired

Google some Illinois Real Estate Schools and contact them. Like Lyn Sims , do not believe there is any receiprocity. Courses now available online to get you off to a quick start. If you know where you are going to be living you can contact the local board to get an application. Good luck! 

Apr 23, 2019 04:31 AM
Richard Weeks
Dallas, TX
REALTOR®, Broker
Apr 23, 2019 02:51 AM
Carol Williams
Although I'm retired, I love sharing my knowledge and learning from other real estate industry professionals. - Wenatchee, WA
Retired Agent / Broker / Property Manager

Short of going direct to the Department of Licensing in Illinois, you can contact any Designated Broker in the town you are relocating to and they can guide you. It doesn't mean you have to hang your license with them when you do pass the licensing test. 

As for your PA license, you can keep it active until it expires.  Your IL license will be good for compensation through referrals.

Apr 22, 2019 04:53 PM
Will Hamm
Hamm Homes - Aurora, CO
"Where There's a Will, There's a Way!"

Go to Illinios Real Estate Commission,  I would keep Pennsylvania for at leat a year yet.


Apr 22, 2019 12:42 PM
Roy Kelley
Realty Group Referrals - Gaithersburg, MD

The real estate commissions in the states will provide the information you need.

Apr 22, 2019 10:52 AM
Bob Crane
Woodland Management Service / Woodland Real Estate, EXP - Stevens Point, WI
Forestland Experts! 715-204-9671

Go through the normal licensicn process, and until you get your new license in hand you can likely still use your old license to send out referrals to agents in PA.

Apr 22, 2019 10:33 AM
Sam Shueh
(408) 425-1601 - San Jose, CA
mba, cdpe, reopro, pe

Gail Weidner 

moth ball your PA license.


It looks like u are out of luck. Go after a broker license not salesman type.

Apr 22, 2019 09:41 AM
Valeria Mola
SIB Realty - Miami, Sunny Isles Beach - Sunny Isles Beach, FL
305-607-0709 SIB Realty Condos for Sale and Rent

No idea. 

Jun 03, 2019 05:38 AM
Joan Cox
House to Home, Inc. - Denver Real Estate - 720-231-6373 - Denver, CO
Denver Real Estate - Selling One Home at a Time

I would look on-line and see what the commission requires, and you may need to work under someone, so a broker can assist too.

May 05, 2019 10:13 AM
John Juarez
The Medford Real Estate Team - Fremont, CA

 Lots of good advice given.

Apr 25, 2019 07:24 PM
Joe Pryor
The Virtual Real Estate Team - Oklahoma City, OK
REALTOR® - Oklahoma Investment Properties

Call the real estate commission.

Apr 23, 2019 07:42 AM
Greg Cremia
Shore Realty of the Outer Banks - Nags Head, NC

Is this a serious question?

Apr 23, 2019 04:39 AM