Christine Kankowski North SD and Temecula, Excellent Sales and Property Management (House Match Inc)

Spam prevention
Mike Kelly,CRS,CIPS
The MJKelly Team - Santa Rosa, CA
"One of Sonoma County's Natural Resources"

Here in the greatest state of California we do NOT have required well inspections. The only "required" well report would be if a new home is being built in a zone 3 or 4 marginal water area. In these areas you MUST prove water of at least 1 gallon per minute (gpm) to obtain a permit to build. One must be very careful as a test made in winter can have a huge negative swing in the heat of summer.  I for one, unless I'm presenting a cash offer, never even MENTION I'm getting any "specific" reports as I don't want the lender, if used, to be asking to see the results. I'd prefer to negotiate with the buyer and seller instead of a three-way with the lender!         Our "normal" well/water performance test includes the mechanical condition of the well equipment: pump, casing, holding tank, any softener or treatment devices. Well performance such as GPM (gallons per minute) at rest and then pumping for an hour to test its durability, recovery rate and draw-down rate. Lastly we have a chemical analysis. If you are planning on a vineyard Boron is the kiss of death. Small children? We have an old "nitrate" belt where huge chicken ranches once flourished. Nitrates in the water can cause death among small babies and young children. We also have some wells in areas where "nitrates" are very common. This is treatable at the point of entry into the home. Obviously E-coli/fecal coliform levels are very important with a country property using a septic system for effluent treatment. The greatest state of California is on a water watch. In our area we now have three major study zones with county supervised groups monitoring well useage. I predict in years to come we will see "water-meters" on well heads. Water is the next great fight. 

Jun 11, 2018 08:18 PM
Candice A. Donofrio
Next Wave RE Investments LLC Bullhead City AZ Commercial RE Broker - Fort Mohave, AZ
928-201-4BHC (4242) call/text

I can't speak to California, but here in Arizona we have environmental labs that conduct water testing for us. With private deals, I don't have too much of a problem collecting the sample myself and I know how to do it and do it right. With a lender, you're going to want to get somebody else to collect the sample , and the lab should be willing to do it for you I don't know what your cost will be but ours is about $150.
If your deal is being financed, your lender should be able to point you in the right direction. You could also contact a well drilling company and ask them who does water testing for them.

Jun 11, 2018 03:29 PM
Debe Maxwell, CRS | The Maxwell House Group | RE/MAX Executive | (704) 491-3310 - Charlotte, NC
The right Charlotte REALTOR!

Contact your health department to ask for recommendations. We have state certified well & water inspectors who do ours. 

Jun 11, 2018 10:20 PM
Jeff Pearl
RE/MAX Distinctive / LIC in VA - Lovettsville, VA
Full Service Full Time Realtor

Your local health dept should be able to help you, or ask any local well driller. this is the company I usually use here in VA, and looks like they have an office in Los Angeles.

Jun 11, 2018 04:59 PM
Nina Hollander, Broker
Coldwell Banker Realty - Charlotte, NC
Your Greater Charlotte Realtor

I don't know how it works in California... we have special inspectors who inspect the wells for mechanical issues, others who test water for bacteria, lead, radon, pesticides, etc.  Maybe this link will help. But I know testing requirements differ from one jurisdiction to another and also possible on the type of loan product.

Jun 11, 2018 03:39 PM
Lyn Sims
Schaumburg, IL
Schaumburg Real Estate Agent Retired

You want what the lender wants. In my area, it's the county that does the tests & it takes about 10 days so I normally order them up right away in case something needs to be rectified.

Jun 12, 2018 04:58 AM
Peter Testa
Nationwide Homes - Danbury, CT

Lots of wells in CT. The Inspector takes their water sample & sends it to the lab for testing for bacteria, minerals, radon, etc. 

Jun 12, 2018 04:32 AM
Margaret Rome Baltimore 410-530-2400
HomeRome Realty 410-530-2400 - Pikesville, MD
Sell Your Home With Margaret Rome


In Maryland, we do a well yield, depth and water quality testing for bacteria. We have companies that you hire and we wait for the report. You are lucky the listing agent asked or your buyer may not have had the chance to obtain this information. 

Jun 11, 2018 07:22 PM
Bob "RealMan" Timm
Ward County Notary Services - Minot, ND
Owner of Ward Co Notary Services retired RE Broker

In my area of North Dakota it's First District Health and they cover several counties Christine Kankowski North SD and Temecula . First District Health started out as a City operation in the 40's, became County later, and then the State of ND said it was okay to combine with other counties so I can't even tell you who actually operates it but they certify wells and septic systems for several counties. I'd sugguest you start at the county level.

Jun 11, 2018 05:41 PM
Harry Norman, REALTORS® - Atlanta, GA
Associate Broker

I do not deal with wells.

Jun 11, 2018 05:21 PM
Fred Griffin Florida Real Estate
Fred Griffin Real Estate - Tallahassee, FL
Licensed Florida Real Estate Broker

     Find a local company that does Well Water Testing.  They will tell you the costs, and government requirements if any.

      I use a company in Tallahassee called Ackuritlabs .  

   Here is their price chart:



   You may also want a well drilling company (installer) to inspect the equipment including the pump, the water tank, and the pipes.

   * If you wish to drill a new well on your land, you may be subject to regulation by Florida Department of Environmental Protection, Florida Department of Health, and/or the appropriate County Department of Health.   Contact a couple of well drilling companies for estimates and requirements, or call your County Health Department.   

Jun 11, 2018 04:37 PM
Lynnea Miller
Bend Premier Real Estate - Bend, OR
Premier Real Estate Service in Central Oregon

In Oregon the seller must provide arsenic, chloroforms, and bacteria tests. The rest of the tests are a matter of negotiation. Some buyers ask for flow tests, and it is common to ask for past reports. We always have a well company collect the samples as they are responsible to get these to the lab for testing.

Jun 11, 2018 03:33 PM
Kevin J. May
Florida Supreme Realty - Hobe Sound, FL
Serving the Treasure & Paradise Coasts of Florida

I would believe that the CA Dept. of Health would have your answer. In FL that's who I turn to when groundwater issues arise which I'm unable to answer. About 15% of Florida households have private well water for drinking. The companies who drill and obtain permits for them usually test and offer filtration systems to complete the package.

Jun 12, 2018 01:24 PM
Jeff Dowler, CRS
eXp Realty of California, Inc. - Carlsbad, CA
The Southern California Relocation Dude

Haven't sold a home with a well in CA yet. Mike Kelly,CRS,CIPS has a pretty thorough answer. What does the lender require? Good luck and share what you ultimately learn.

Jun 12, 2018 07:30 AM
Thomas J. Nelson, REALTOR ® e-Pro CRS RCS-D Vets
Big Block Realty 858.232.8722 - La Jolla, CA
& Host of Postcards From Success Podcast

I've only dealt with irrigation wells (avocado farm), so no testing was done. Never sold a home that worked off well water.

Jun 11, 2018 06:31 PM
Scott Godzyk
Godzyk Real Estate Services - Manchester, NH
One of the Manchester NH's area Leading Agents

Here in NH the test for Arsenic, radon and bacteria. They can do an optional flow rate but water is plentiful in most parts of the state and not needed. We use local home inspectors which collect the samples and sent to the local testing place. 

Jun 11, 2018 04:45 PM
Barbara Todaro
RE/MAX Executive Realty - Retired - Franklin, MA
Previously Affiliated with The Todaro Team

I don't know how California deals with wells, but in MA, we have quality and quantity testing done for inspections for wells.... we don't have many wells in my town... town water/town sewer.... 

Jun 11, 2018 04:40 PM
Roy Kelley
Realty Group Referrals - Gaithersburg, MD

I have no idea what is required in your state.

Jun 11, 2018 03:30 PM
Kathleen Daniels, Probate & Trust Specialist
KD Realty - 408.972.1822 - San Jose, CA
Probate Real Estate

Mike Kelly,CRS,CIPS has this one covered.  

Jun 12, 2018 12:56 PM
Ron and Alexandra Seigel
Napa Consultants - Carpinteria, CA
Luxury Real Estate Branding, Marketing & Strategy

Mike Kelly,CRS,CIPS gave you the answer.  A

Jun 12, 2018 06:33 AM
Tony and Suzanne Marriott, Associate Brokers
Serving the Greater Phoenix and Scottsdale Metropolitan Area - Scottsdale, AZ
Haven Express @ Keller Williams Arizona Realty

Anthony Acosta - ALLATLANTACONDOS.COM nailed this one!

Jun 12, 2018 05:17 AM
Olga Simoncelli
Veritas Prime, LLC dba Veritas Prime Real Estate - New Fairfield, CT
CONSULTANT, Real Estate Services & Risk Management

Well guys do the inspections - water must be free of bacteria, there are guidelines as to how much flows per minute, etc. Water tests are sent to special labs; bacteria is easily treated if present.

Jun 12, 2018 05:15 AM
Gabe Sanders
Real Estate of Florida specializing in Martin County Residential Homes, Condos and Land Sales - Stuart, FL
Stuart Florida Real Estate

I don't know the CA rules.

Jun 12, 2018 05:08 AM
Jeff Perlis Prime Properties
Prime Properties - Lake Arrowhead, CA
Experience Your Own Transformation!

No wells in here.

Jun 11, 2018 10:37 PM
Praful Thakkar
LAER Realty Partners - Andover, MA
Andover, MA: Andover Luxury Homes For Sale

Christine Kankowski North SD and Temecula - Not much into this - however, few homes with well-water, we did Quality and Quantity test for the water.

One of them failed as the well could not pump out water at a steady rate for few hours.

Jun 11, 2018 10:32 PM
Inna Ivchenko
Barcode Properties - Encino, CA
Realtor® • GRI • HAFA • PSC Calabasas CA

I'm in CA, but never had to deal with that so far. Why don't you ask your client what inspections they want? 

Jun 11, 2018 07:44 PM
John Juarez
The Medford Real Estate Team - Fremont, CA

Hi, Christine,

I would think that you would have local contacts in the Temecula area who can help you. Advice from across the nation is likely not to be pertinent for your needs. I have never had to deal with a well.

Jun 11, 2018 07:29 PM
Tony Lewis
Summit Real Estate Group - Valencia, CA
Summit Real Estate Group Valencia & Aliso Viejo

I can let you know that no well company will give a well cert any longer.

Jun 11, 2018 05:51 PM
William Feela
Realtor, Whispering Pines Realty 651-674-5999 No.

I don't worry about the CA regs.  In my area we have water testers that dothe work

Jun 11, 2018 05:25 PM
Gita Bantwal
RE/MAX Centre Realtors - Warwick, PA
REALTOR,ABR,CRS,SRES,GRI - Bucks County & Philadel

Nina has the answer

Jun 11, 2018 04:20 PM
Ryan Huggins - Thousand Oaks, CA - Thousand Oaks, CA
Residential Real Estate and Investment Properties

I have no experience with this, but Endre Barath, Jr. does a lot of land deals so he might.  My other thought would be to John DL Arendsen since he has a wide background.

Jun 11, 2018 04:10 PM
Wayne Martin
Wayne M Martin - Chicago, IL
Real Estate Broker - Retired

No clue in California. An experienced loan officer may be able to assist you!

Jun 11, 2018 03:58 PM
Will Hamm
Hamm Homes - Aurora, CO
"Where There's a Will, There's a Way!"

Check with local health department for your state.


Jun 18, 2018 09:26 AM
Joan Cox
House to Home, Inc. - Denver Real Estate - 720-231-6373 - Denver, CO
Denver Real Estate - Selling One Home at a Time

Not in CA, but here we have a flow test and a water purity test.  The well companies can do this.

Jun 15, 2018 09:11 AM
Bob Crane
Woodland Management Service / Woodland Real Estate, EXP - Stevens Point, WI
Forestland Experts! 715-204-9671

Looks like Mike Kelly knows what is needed in CA.

Jun 12, 2018 05:04 PM