Subscribe to Answers
Who is Lise Howe?
Why should I hire Lise Howe?
What makes Lise Howe different?
When can Lise Howe list my house? Call Lise at 240-343-HOWE Now! And Lise doesn't just list...she markets and sells it.
And you are still asking how...Really? Ask Howe...Lise Howe.
Andrew Mooers | 207.53...
Ryan Huggins - Thousan...
Thousand Oaks, CA
Kathleen Daniels, Prob...
San Jose, CA
What is a "mega blog"? I had given a list of topics I've written about for my radio show and local real estate column. It was pretty extensive!
1. The Redevelopment Director for the City of Santa Rosa. Conversation on how the City can add to the housing stock with affordability as the key point. Reducing overall permit and impact fees.
2. Here in the greatest state of California we now have a ADU ordinance which local cities and counties are grappling with—Auxiliary Dwelling Unit or “grannies” as we call them. One way to assist in affordable housing—but the city and counties need to NOT be obstructionists.
3. Trust, Estates and Probate—we chop up the hour and speak 1st segment on why you need a trust, life estates, then talk about stepped-up basis and which say to take title. Lastly probate
4. We have also just had attorneys on to discuss how to take title and which is the best way to make sure all parties are getting their just share.
5. Alternative lifestyles need representation on purchasing home. Boy and girls friends are buying more than ever, Gay couples, Gay couples with children. Complicated. Pre-nuptials
6. We have a few guests on regularly—Tom Havstad a great Permit Consultant monitors the shenanigans of the local PRMD (Permit Resource Management Division—the building department!). How to wind your way through that maze!
7. County Assessor’s office just came on to discuss how the rent roll is trending. California has Propositions 60 and 90 which allows inter and intra transfer of your old, cheap Proposition 13 tax base. Certain tricks and requirements to do it correctly. Save’s your seller thousands—great “drop-by” item.
8. Cannabis the “M” word is not used very much! (Marijuana)—cultivation, where in the county, which land will allow it. Impact on disclosures to home buyers in areas. We have our Megan’s List of child molesters—another now for cultivation?
9. Disclosures, THE biggest issue in real estate. We have attorneys who come on to explain when and how and what to disclose. Neighborhood hearsay? What counts as an item to disclose
10. Sr. Living and aging in place. BIG time issue in our County of Sonoma. Biggest demographic 55+. Our lack of inventory can be chalked up to the boomers hunkering down. We’ve had carpenters come on who specialize in installing safety “bars” plus lowering counters to wheelchair height, etc.
11. Since we are in a primarily agricultural area we also talk about surveying properties, what to do with the neighbor who insists his barn is NOT on your property line. Water rights, tasting rooms, event centers, etc.
12. Septic System installation, repair and percolation testing for a new home. State of California just instituted a standardized (one wag stated bastardized!) on HOW to repair an aging system. If you are in an area with a high water area table repair is no longer viable and what would have been a $5,000 bill is now $40,0000 to $50,000 for a new “mound system”. Just what IS a Mound System is also discussed.
13. First week of the month I do a thorough market study of Sonoma, Napa and Marin counties; Solds, Median Price, Under Contracts, Inventory, New Inventory, Days on Market, Month’s Supply of Inventory.
14. 2nd week of the Month—the $1,000,000 report—same three counties but homes in excess of 1 Mil. I break it down into segments $1-2Mil, 2-$3, etc. Ultra luxury is over $5,000,000.
15. Vacation Rentals, VRBO, AirBNB—what cities allow in the County. Where does the County allow them. Cost to build, income potential. Always a big favorite.
16. During the big REO market I had the VP of West Coast REO from BofA discussing this crazy market and short-sales approvals and procedure. Also had Ivan Choi when he was at BofA/Countrywide—great guest!
17. I’ve looked at the Mexico market from the stand point of retiring, how to live there, buying a property, living within the culture
18. Also, have had investment shows highlighting a much more affordable area in the states. We have property in Georgia. Cash flow heaven!
19. I’ve had County Supervisors on the show discussing the need for more affordable housing and what the community can do about it.
20. 1031 Exchanges—I had an absolutely superb 1031 expert on my show many times. One of the few times I had the show professional videotaped. We broke it down into 4 segments and it is STILL on you-tube. I liked it so much 5 years later I taped it again—both shows on still on You Tube. My expert with OREXCO retired though. Need to bring her assistant who took her place onto the show.
Whew! I’ve been doing my radio show for 20+ years and I could go on with another 20. Also, last thing—as a Bee Keeper I explain those wasps and yellow jackets are NOT bees!
Debe Maxwell, CRS
Condo sales in your area - buying a condo, what you can expect from condo HOAs, living in a condo in DC, most walkable condos...
I like the mega-blog idea, Lise - they're great for SEO!
Anthony Acosta - ALLAT...
Warner Robins, GA
Here are a few, Lise Howe...
With the military presence in D.C., articles around PCSing, VA Loans, etc. should perform well.
xxx reasons buyers need their own agent
Top xxx things to like (do/see) in D.C.
Topics centered around home improvement and/or staging are typically well received too.
xxx reasons to sell your home in the fall
xxx reasons why homes sit on the market
Debe Maxwell, CRS
The home selling process
home buying process
what does title insurance do for you
home inspections, the good, bad and ugly
Bunny rabbits: why they're evil and must be chased.
wait, how did my dog type that last line on there?
OK I am too late to the party, looking at the answers below you are good for a couple years with Mega Blogs:)) now we expect to read them as promised:)Endre
I would expand on your previous topic on new construction like why buy new, is an inspection necessary, building green, new building products that will change the future, etc.
Well you already hit the one I was going to suggest, new construction.
If you have niche housing (e.g. patio homes), they might be worth a go.
First time home buyer FAQs might be worthwhile too.
Debe Maxwell, CRS
A good opportunity to set yourself apart in a niche or two.
Debe Maxwell, CRS
you're a team leader.... do a series of blog posts on teams...
Why Create A Team? How To Create A Team... Why Every Agent Should Not Be On A Team.... Why Homeowners Like Teams....
Debe Maxwell, CRS
Anthony Acosta - ALLAT...
- High end condos near the Bethesda Metro stop
- High end condos near the Friendship Heights Metro stop, etc
- How to buy and sell at the same time...without being homeless and without paying extra
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of living in Maryland vs the District
Parked and reading...
Try families and animals. It is hard to compete with children and dogs! Also, how about ways to create a niche.
Condominiums - pros and cons.
You have great suggestions. Focus is key!
Paying off all debt
coops vs condominiums
Never go FSBO
Using anagent when buying new construction
Why selling your home is a great idea, based on current market conditions. It might require updating every few months though
The process of buying a home, what you need to do to prepare a home for sale, the inspection process, the lending process....
Excellent question, will have to see what the top people have to say!
Great idea Lise. I was searching through some of my ideas and I couldn't find anything BIG to suggest. I'll be watching here though. Maybe I'll find something I can blog about! LOL!
Are you talking 2000 plus word blogs to drill down through rich in local links? Anything local is worth wordsmithing those. They are helpful, time and money saving Lise Howe . Start with local history and expand from there.
It could be almost anything, but to be genuine and interesting, it has to come from you!
Well, my regular readers of my blog tell me less is more
one of my most popular and clicked on mega blogs was about foreclosures and another was a wrap up of the market for 2016 with a out look for this year. And my "predictions" were pretty spot on.
Importance of home inspections.
Importance of Disclosures - cannot over-disclose and the truth will set you free!
HOA document review and compliance with the Civil Code! Seller Duties. I am attending a 3 hour class on this today.
Trends that are happening in your local market.
Hell, I'm coming back to swipe some ideas.
Ok how about resort living, compare ski resorts to life on the beach pros and cons.
Great questions and great answers, best of luck with this idea. I see a contest coming on.
Lise Howe - search for 'Never Ask The Same Question Again' (was this a group? If so, you'll find lots of ideas there...)
Homebuying for newlyweds:
- Why buy
- Where to buy
- Matching a home to your lifestyle
- Size of home
- Condition of the home
- Features of the home
- Selecting an agent
Lise... I think you can take any topic relating to buying and sellling a home and turn it into a megablog.
Thanks for the question. I learned from the answersn